Fluoride was originally added to water supplies back around the time of the end of World War II, but this well-intended practice to improve dental health is still around today, and more and more people are recognizing the possible dangers. Certainly, a lot of people out there will tell you there’s no problem with fluoridated water, but these people are simply repeating outdated studies that are not backed by current evidence.
Why You Need to Avoid Fluoridated Water
Drinking fluoridated water may seem like a good idea, but it’s actually anything but. Not only can consuming fluoride harm the brain, it also has severe impacts on hormonal health. Here are 5 reasons to avoid it like the plague.
1. Fluoridated Water Can Damage the Thyroid
A recent study reported water fluoridation in England is linked to a 30 percent increase in the rate of underactive thyroid; still, other reports suggest 2 to 5 mg of fluoride over months can actually reduce thyroid function.   Close to 70 percent of the U.S. water supply is fluoridated. But should we really be putting an endocrine disruptor like fluoride into the water we drink?
2. Fluoridated Water is Linked to ADHD
With a more than 50 percent increase in the past 10 years, ADHD is becoming a big problem in the U.S.  So what’s causing this increase? Well, if you live in a state with fluoridated water, that could even be a factor. For the first time, scientists have “found that states with a higher portion of artificially fluoridated water had a higher prevalence of ADHD,” and it seems like more than just a fluke: the trend even “held up across six different years examined.” 
3. Fluoridated Water Lowers IQ
New data suggests fluoridated water could even lead to brain damage and lower IQs in kids.  As a neurotoxin, fluoride could even cause damage equivalent to that from a traumatic brain injury. Some experts believe that adding fluoride to the water supply is not only reckless, it’s immoral. Unfortunately, many of the individuals in control of fluoridating water are unaware of the hazards of the toxin. 
4. Fluoridated Water Can Cause Fluorosis
Too much fluoride can affect teeth and bones. The World Health Organization (WHO) says ”fluoride levels above 1.5 mg per litre cause pitting of tooth enamel and deposits in bones. Levels above 10 mg per litre cause the crippling skeletal fluorosis.”  In the U.S., we’re often exposed to levels in the 2 to 5 mg range, but in India, fluorosis is such a concern that, in 2008, the government had to create a national health plan to combat excess fluoride in the water. With the way the U.S. loves its fluoride, why couldn’t that happen here?
5. Fluoridated Water Damages the Pineal Gland
Fluoride damage to bones and teeth isn’t the only issue; the toxin can also build up in very high levels in the pineal gland.  Located in the brain, this gland is responsible for melatonin synthesis and production. While it’s not known just how fluoride can damage the gland, one thing melatonin controls is the start of puberty in girls, and some evidence suggests the build-up could be a factor in early onset.
Avoid Fluoride at All Costs
Fluoridated water is causing all sorts of damage to our bodies—maybe even more than we know. Sure, there’s an old argument that taking the fluoride out of the water supply would significantly damage oral health; but, in the 21st century, is that still the best argument?
What do you think? Do the potential risks outweigh the (perceived) benefits of fluoridation? Tell us what you think in the comments.
- Scientific Review Shows Fluoridation Does Not Prevent Cavities
- Fluoridated Water Can Calcify Arteries, Study Finds
- Alert! Research Links Fluoridated Water to ADHD
- Fluoride – The Only Drug Intentionally Added to Your Tap Water
- Peckham, S et al. Are fluoride levels in drinking water associated with hypothyroidism prevalence in England? A large observational study of GP practice data and fluoride levels in drinking water. Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health.
- Galletti P, et. al. Effect of fluorine on thyroidal iodine metabolism in hyperthyroidism. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology. 18 (10).
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Key Findings: Trends in the Parent-Report of Health Care Provider-Diagnosis and Medication Treatment for ADHD: United States, 2003—2011. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Malin, A. J. & Till, C. Exposure to fluoridated water and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder prevalence among children and adolescents in the United States: an ecological association. Environmental Health. 14 (7).
- Landrigan, P. & Grandjean, P. Neurobehavioural effects of developmental toxicity. Lancet Neurology. 13 (3).
- Franklin, J. Fluoride branded ‘brain danger’ to our children. Southern Daily Echo.
- Lennon, M. A. et al. Rolling Revision of the WHO Guidelines for Drinking-Water Quality. World Health Organization.
- Luke, J. THE EFFECT OF FLUORIDE ON THE PHYSIOLOGY OF THE PINEAL GLAND. School of Biological Sciences, University of Surrey.
Recommended articles by Dr. Edward Group:
- The 9 Best Fermented Foods for Your Gut
- 14 Foods that Cleanse the Liver
- Top 5 Foods for the Pineal Gland
- The Importance of a Kidney Cleansing Diet
- The 9 Best Herbs for Lung Cleansing and Respiratory Support
- 7 Best Foods to Support Kidney Function
- Lung Cleansing With Peppermint Oil
- 20 Health Benefits of Fasting for Whole Body Wellness
- How Fluoride Damages Pineal Gland Health
- Toxin Cleanse: Which Toxins Are Disrupting Your Health?
- 10 Uses for Organic Oregano Oil
About the author:
Dr. Edward F. Group III (DC, ND, DACBN, DCBCN, DABFM) founded Global Healing Center in 1998 with the goal of providing the highest quality natural health information and products. He is world-renowned for his research on the root cause of disease. Under his leadership, Global Healing Center earned recognition as one of the largest natural and organic health resources in the world. Dr. Group is a veteran of the United States Army and has attended both Harvard and MIT business schools. He is a best-selling author and a frequent guest on radio and television programs, documentary films, and in major publications.
Dr. Group centers his philosophy around the understanding that the root cause of disease stems from the accumulation of toxins in the body and is exacerbated by daily exposure to a toxic living environment. He believes it is his personal mission to teach and promote philosophies that produce good health, a clean environment, and positive thinking. This, he believes, can restore happiness and love to the world.
For more, please visit Global Healing Center.